Thursday, March 17, 2011

Newspapers

The other day I was browsing through newspapers from the 1800s (the San Francisco Call) and was finding not only great articles, but wonderful pictures, drawings and advertisements.  The layouts were so incredibly… comforting. 

The newspapers talked of what we would consider trivial things today, like a visit made by someone average to somewhere average and reporting back something... average.  But if any of those averages were someone or someplace close to your genealogical heart, then there is nothing at all average about that average story.

The newspapers had layouts that look truly cut and paste.  As in scissors and glue.  Pasted together by someone, an artist, in a manor that fit the times.  The advertisements didn't have a gazillion disclaimers or legal mumbo jumbo.  They promised cures and relief with joy and solemn oath.


Today I was looking for a more recent obituary and while I found what I wanted, online newspapers just don't have the… oomph… that old newspapers do.  I didn’t find the need to browse more on that online site.  I just found what I was looking for and moved along.

Since I don't subscribe to a newspaper and don't read them, I find myself extremely hypocritical as I long for the almost-past of print newspapers.  But, really, isn't this:



Much more fun to look at than this:



No comments:

Post a Comment