Wednesday, March 28, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Cemeteries


I'm behind in my Abundant Genealogy posts, so I'll be using this week to catch up...

Cemeteries: Genealogists understand the full value of cemeteries and appreciate them in ways most others can’t see. Share a cemetery or cemetery experience for which you are most thankful. What makes this place special? What does it mean to you and your family history?

Surprisingly, I’ve not really spent a lot of time in the cemeteries of my ancestors.  My local cemeteries don’t house anyone I know and I rarely get anywhere else.  But thanks to Find-a-Grave, I have seen the South Dakota cemetery of many of my ancestors and it has an odd draw to me.  I hope to visit in the next couple of years.

Among those interned in the Midland Cemetery are my great, great grandparents, Anthony and Elizabeth Konst, their son Clemens and his wife Alice and my grandfather’s baby brother, Gerald.  There is also a mystery “James Howard Connor.”  My great grandfather’s brother was James Howard Conner.  But although he died in South Dakota, he’s buried in the Russell (Iowa) cemetery with his parents.  So who is this?  Something of a mystery...

***
52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your thoughts on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Debbie,

    When you visit these cemeteries, here's a resource I came across recently that may be of interest to you, "How To Read a Graveyard" http://dohistory.org/on_your_own/toolkit/graveyards.html. Have a great day.

    Regards, Terri

    ReplyDelete