Monday, February 11, 2013

Don't Miss This Podcast: Backstory Radio



I’ve been listening to Backstory Radio on my iPhone in the car for the last few months.  It's a great show to give you some background on the times and events that your ancestor took part in. 

The premise of the show is to take a current day topic and discuss it through the different centuries in American's history.  There are three American History professors (Ed Ayers, Peter Onuf and Brian Balogh) who each take a century.  The topics are wonderful and I've learned more driving in a month than I ever did of many years of history classes.

Backstoryis a public radio program available on podcast or online that, "...brings historical perspective to the events happening around us today."  They have callers, other professors, authors and experts join them to discuss the history of our social surroundings today and they do it in an intelligent, but entertaining manner.  I only wish that I'd had them has history professors...

Some of my favorite topics have been:

  •       Mealtime in America,
  •       Guns,
  •       Heating and Air Conditioning,
  •       Drugs,
  •       Emancipation,
  •       Presidential Inaugurations,
  •       Holiday Season,
  •        Apocalypse,
  •        Mail...


Basically all of them are my favorite, as all of them help me understand my ancestors just a bit better.  The topics are perfect for genealogy, where we may have the facts, but we need the BACKSTORY.

To join me in my love of Backstory radio, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or any of the other options here: http://backstoryradio.org/podcast-page/.

No comments:

Post a Comment