Monday, February 20, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Week 8 – Genealogy Libraries


Genealogy Libraries: Genealogy libraries (and dedicated departments in regular libraries) are true treasures in the family history community.  Tell us about your favorite genealogy library. What or who makes it special?

My favorite genealogy library is the California Genealogical Society’s library.   It’s a relatively small area packed with great books, periodicals, and people.  Over the summer, when the days are longer, I like to schedule time after work to just be in the library.  The atmosphere alone breeds excitement and enthusiasm.

One trip last summer had me talking to Jane.  Jane asked me about who I was researching and we chit chatted a bit.  She offhandedly said I should check the digital records on FamilySearch for the mortuary records for one person I was researching.  We did and found some interesting things, although nothing too new.  But wait, Jane said.  She disappeared and came back with a giant old dusty book.  GIANT old dusty volume of the IOOF cemetery records.  My guy was in there and we learned much from looking at those handwritten records.

But more than information, like I said, is the enthusiasm.  I haven’t yet been where I didn’t meet someone interesting or where I didn’t find a treasure of a book to take me off my research course! 

***
52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your thoughts on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to visit this library. It's definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete