Friday, July 6, 2012

Family History Expo- Day 1

The Expo is living up to my expectations and then some. I took a Roots Magic class and a Personal Historian class. I bought both at the Southern California Jamboree but they are still in the boxes... Time to rectify that. I intend to use RM for my "clean data" and slowly move from FTM.

At Jamboree, I got Personal Historian to see if it would be something I'd recommend to the Livermore-Amador Genealogical Society writing group that I lead. I had no intention of using it, figuring that Word did just fine for me. I don't need writing prompts or fodder- I can write stories 'til they are coming out your ears. But after today? Not only will I recommend it, but I may make it mandatory. LOVE IT!

I also took a class about libraries by Gena Philibert Ortega. I had never heard her speak before and she is amazing. I really like her style of lecture and may revisit my schedule tomorrow to see if I can fit more of her classes in. And if not? There is the National Institute for Genealogical Studies. She has a class on that tomorrow...

The last class of the night was by Angela Kraft and it was called Beyond Names and Dates. She is giving this talk at our society meeting on Tuesday, but I have to miss it. Since this is what I love (beyond names and dates) I was glad to get to hear the talk afterall.

So far my only complaints are the same as everywhere. It's too hot or too cold. The restaurant is too crowded.

So in essence, no complaints and I really do love the Family History Expos. I had a great time meeting fellow bloggers and learning that people call me the Meerkat Manor Lady.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to say "Meow Meerkat" but then I realized that I have no idea what kind of sound a meerkat makes! Better study up for this - there will be a pop quiz tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete