Saturday, April 16, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy and History- Restaurants

Week 16. Restaurants. What was your favorite local restaurant as a child? Where was it located, and what was your favorite meal? Did you know the staff personally? What is your favorite restaurant now?
When I was a child, restaurant outings were rare.  When we went, it was an event.  Not like how my children are with restaurants- We didn’t need crayons and coloring pages to keep us occupied; we were mesmerized by the glamour of letting others take our orders and wait on us.  Seeing as how this is exactly what Mom did at home for dinner, I can’t explain it, but that is just how it was.

During a particularly wonderful time in my life, we lived in a small town in Northern California called Platina.  Here is a map to Platina:



Due to the size of our town (population 50), there really wasn’t a restaurant.  HOWEVER, every once in blue moon (only not even as often as that), we’d venture out of “town” and on one such excursion, we found a delightful restaurant in the big city of Weaverville, California.  I don’t remember anything about this restaurant, except that for dessert, they had Champagne Sherbet.  And we loved it so much, that went back several times.  And our family still speaks of the Champagne Sherbet as if it contained only proper nouns because that is how good it was. 

Friend that it is, Google showed me links to recipes for champagne sherbet, but having to make it myself would definitely take the proper out of those nouns…

2 comments:

  1. Love your chart. I thought I'd heard of every California town, but you found one I didn't know about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your map as well. I grew up in a similar place in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete