Sunday, January 29, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Week 5- Life Experiences


Life Experiences: Sometimes the challenges in life provide the best learning experiences. Can you find an example of this in your own family tree? Which brick wall ancestor are you most thankful for, and how did that person shape your family history experience?

My third great grandfather was born to a coal miner in Scotland.  He somehow managed to bring his wife and children to the United States where he worked his whole life as a coal miner.  He could have done that in Scotland, but I like to give him a back story and pretend that he has psychic abilities and could see into the future.  “If I go to America, my third great granddaughter will not be a coal miner or married to a coal miner.  She will sit in her cushy chair at her office job while her husband takes care of my fourth great grandchildren.  They will have an amazing life.  If only I save up and get my wife and children to America.”

And he did.

And my life has been amazing.

Thank you, Great, Great, Great Grandfather Thomas Connor.  I really am humbled by all you did for your family.  Even if you didn't know why through all your trials and tribulations.

***
52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your thoughts on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.

1 comment: