How long does it take an anal-retentive genealogist to put some pictures in a cute family tree frame she got for Christmas?
Answer: 11 hours and 50 minutes.
- Count how many pictures will fit. Ten small and ten large total. Okay. No problem. But they don’t have the real flow of an actual family tree. Ponder this and make several maps of how to make this work.- 1 hour.
- Decide to just make a list of the cool pictures that COULD be in the tree. While looking through these, notice that you actually do have a picture of 3rd great grampa Henry and that it needs to go in the book. You know, the one where you have long since finished the chapter on Henry? Yes, that one. Well, now that chapter has to be refigured because of the picture insert. Do this. Notice that the picture also includes his brother Louis (who you knew about) and his brother Herman (who you had never heard of). Research Herman. 6 hours and 16 minutes.
- Finish the list of cool pictures. The list now includes 927 pictures. Recall that you can have ten small and ten large. Throw cool picture list away. Then dig it back out because, really, you spent all that time on it… 57 minutes.
- Get a fresh piece of paper and decide to make a map of where the pictures are on the cool family tree gift you got. 5 minutes.
- Plot out grandparents (4 pictures). Then great grandparents (8 more pictures). Then great great grandparents (16 more pictures). Then remember husband has ancestors, too. Throw the list away. 5 minutes.
- Finally decide on the pictures. Plot them out. Several times. 3 hours and 12 minutes.
- Re-size and print the pictures. Cut them out and frame them. 15 minutes.