Saturday, October 27, 2012

Surname Saturday: Åslund



My great grandmother, Inga Kristina Aslund, loved wrestling.  My aunt does a wonderful impression of her yelling in Swedish and shaking her fists at the wrestling on television. 

Inga was born at 1:00 a.m. on July 3, 1887 in Langsele, Västernorrland  County, Sweden.   Her twin sister, Beda Elisabet, was born at 2:00 a.m.  Family stories say that Beda died soon after birth.

Inga and Beda’s parents were Lars Petter Aslund (b. 1847) and Anna Stina Flemstrom (b. 1843).  Lars was a tailor from Aborrasen, Graninge, Vasternorrland County, Sweden.  He married Anna Stina Flemstrom on 30 January 1887. 

All the above info except the wrestling commentary and the notion that Beda Elisabet died soon after birth were provided by Ancestry.com’s below image:

Inga Kristina Aslund

I am confusified by this word:



I can't find it in Google or in Swedish dictionaries, which means it is probably a place name, but I can't figure out what it could be.  If you know... well, please leave in my comments!

Source Citation:  “Sweden, Indexed Birth Records, 1880-1920,” database, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 21 October 2012), entry for Inga Kristina Åslund, 3 July 1887, Långsele, Västernorrland, Sweden; citing “Swedish Church Records Archive; Johanneshov, Sweden; Sweden, Indexed Birth Records, 1880-1920; GID Number: 100022.100.2100; Roll/Fiche Number: SC-1137; Volume:908; Record Type: Födde (Births); Year Range: 1887 - 1887.”

1 comment:

  1. Oh Debbie! You are not going to believe this, but I have family from Aborrasen, Graninge, Vasternorrland County, Sweden! When we were talking the other day, who would have though we would be talking about the same region! I am going to ask my cousin to look at this word, I am having a difficult time reading what it is, but maybe he can. I will message him.

    ReplyDelete