Thursday, October 18, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday – Why did she save this? Will ask no one in my family...



At a conference I attended, I received a registration code from TheHeirloomRegistry.com.  I think it is a brilliant concept to really pass on the stories behind the items not just the items themselves.  Since my children, grandchildren, and great, great, great grandchildren will not be inheriting anything of great monetary value from me, I can at least make sure that the things they do receive they know what it is and what it means.

For instance, this music trinket has been on my desk since January of 1985:


 I rarely wind it and hardly ever dust it, but I look at it every day.  If something were to happen to me, no one would know why in the world I even have this or why it’s important.  So today, I put this sticker on the bottom of it:


 
Then I logged into www.theheirloomregistry.com and entered all the pertinent information, wrote a story about the bears, and uploaded a picture of it.  Someday, someone will find this sticker and log onto the site.  They will type in the ID number and learn that:

"This music box was given to [Debbie] for her graduation from [high school] in 1985.  Debbie's parents gave her a graduation party at her early graduation in January.  Her grandfather, Pierre William Conner, gave it to her as a joke (with a check).  It has been on her desk ever since.  It plays the song, “Oh Playmate.”

The Heirloom Registry site has Registration Number stickers for sale at a very reasonable price.  The standard stickers can be bought in a 5, 10 or 25 pack and will solve the problem of trying to keep the heirloom with the story behind it.  

Guess what my family are all getting for Christmas???

1 comment: