Friday, November 12, 2010

Family Recipe Friday- Swiss Steak

I have a cousin (Dad's first cousin) who I met through the internet. She passed away- long before her time should have been- and she was like me and collected recipes. She made them into a book and sent it to me. She was a treasure in my life, as she had the same passions as me and I'm only sad she lived so far away and we never were able to meet (as adults- I understand we knew one another when I was 2). So here is a recipe Skeet passed down to me from my grandmother's mother. They were Swedish, but this is a recipe I remember my grandma making, so it must have been a favorite.

Inga Larsdotter Felt's Swiss Steak
Note: Always eaten with mashed potatoes and corn.

Ingredients:
3-4 lbs. round steak
Onion to taste, cut in rings
Salt and pepper to taste
Kitchen Bouquet
1/4 cup green pepper, cut in rings
Shortening

Cut round steak in serving sized pieces. Prepare a bowl of flour (about 1½ cups I think) and add salt and pepper - stir up (I use a fork to mix the salt and pepper in the flour). Coat each piece of steak in flour and brown in melted shortening in large frying pan.

Brown both sides and remove from pan and place in roaster. You may have to add more shortening to get all pieces browned. Then add enough shortening to make a thin layer of melted shortening in bottom of frying pan; sprinkle flour to cover the shortening and add salt (takes quite a bit of salt to flavor it). Brown this and slowly add cold water stirring continuously while doing so.

This will take about 3 to 4 cups of water and will be very thin. Add 3 or 4 drops of Kitchen Bouquet to gravy and stir in. Pour over steaks. Add onions and peppers if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 1½ to 2 hours.

1 comment:

  1. The recipe I taught my Granddaughter uses stewed tomatoes instead of onion and green pepper. This is the first meal she learned to cook. Since she was having some anger issues, pounding out the round steak was a good way to ease her aggressions. We also serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.

    ReplyDelete