Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday

I was going to try for a Talented Tuesday today instead, but it was too hard to choose and, actually, I think it took yesterday’s Thomas a lot of talent to be an out of work, illiterate widowed coal miner with children to raise. So move along and instead share some tombstones.

These are from the Doty Settlement Cemetery in Oxford, Ohio. When my 7-year-old daughter and I were visiting Ohio this past summer, we made our poor cousins drive us hours and hours away just so we could stand there in awe. Okay. *I* was in awe. My daughter? Was hot.
Anyway, here is a picture I took of the cemetery.

Our relation:

1 My daughter
2 Me
3 My mom
4 My grandmother
5 Myra Belle Hulse m. Cora Edwin Shelton
6 John Andrew Hulse m. Mary Louisa Doty
7 Francis Doty m. Mariah Zimmerman
8 Jesse Doty m. Jane Kittley

Jesse’s son Jesse was among those that lived in the settlement’s house right up the street. Jesse’s (senior) portrait is hanging on the wall.



No comments:

Post a Comment