Friday, June 3, 2011

Friends of Friends Friday: Ginny

From the will of my 7th great grandfather, Anthony Badgley.  I wish I knew more about Ginny (and that he didn't call her THAT).  But it's clear that he thought so much of her that she wanted to be sure that she was with the youngest daughter- to possibly raise her?

Will of Anthony Badgley written 6 Mar 1732

I Anthony Badgley of Flushing in Queens County on Nassau Island in the Province of New York, Yeoman,  this twenty sixth day of March in the year of our Lord Christ one thousand seven hundred & thirty two. Being indisposed and weak in body but of sound & perfect mind & memory blessed be God therefore calling to mind the uncertainty of this life do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manor following. Principally recommending my soul to God that gave it and my body to the earth to be buried at the disposition of my  executors hereinafter named and as touching my real and personal estate I dispose thereof as follows VIZ:

IMPRIMIS I will and order that all my just and lawful debts together with my funeral charges and expenses be all well and duly paid and discharged.

ITEM I hereby give and bequeath unto my well beloved daughter Sarah Badgley my negro wench named Ginny

ITEM I do hereby give unto my said daughter Sarah all my deceased wifes woolin and stuff clothes and apparel now lying and being in my trunk covered with leather

ITEM I do hereby give and bequeath unto my well beloved daughter Elizabeth Badgley all my said wifes linens clothes or apparel lying and being in the above said trunk

ITEM It is my will and I do hereby order that my executors hereinafter named or major part of them or the surviving major goodly survivors of them meet at some convenient time after my decease to be at their discretion shall sell all my real and personal estate that is to say my dwelling house, lands meadows mills goods chattels and effects whatsoever with any appurtances to best advantage and the proceeds or money arising thereby to dispose as follows

VIZ:  To my daughter Sarah Badgley above mentioned the sum of fifty pounds and to my said Daughter Elizabeth Badgley the sum of one hundred pounds and in case my said negro wench above mentioned shall happen to die before my said daughter Sarah arrives at the age of eighteen years then it is my will that my said daughter Sarah shall have the sum of fifty pounds more and all the residue of any proceed of my said real and personal estate

I do hereby give and bequeath to my well beloved sons Anthony Badgley, Samuel Badgley and Stephen Badgley to be equally divided amongst them share and share alike and in case that either of my said daughters shall happen to die without lawful issue before she arrives at Lawful age then and in such case it is my will that her surviving sister shall have one equal half of her part or portion so dying and that the other half shall be equally divided among my said sons Anthony, Samuel, and Stephen and in case that either or any of my said sons named happen to dye before they arrive at lawful age without lawful issue then and in such case it is my will that his or there part or portion so dying shall be equally divided among the survivors.

ITEM it is my wish and desire that the portion or Legacy herein given and bequeathed shall be paid to my said children as each of them arrives at lawful age and during their nonage that the same be put to interest as improved by my said executors to best advantage to and for their welfare and towards bringing of them up and educating of them until they arrive at aged aforesaid.

ITEM It is my will that my said negro wench herein before mentioned shall live and abide with my loving cozin Isaac Thorn until my said daughter Sarah arrives at lawful age in order to be helpful and assisting in bring up my youngest child.

LASTLY I do hereby nominate and appoint my trusty and loving friends Benjamin Thorn, Henry Clement, Samuel Stringham and Isaac Thorn to be executors of this my Last will and testament and I do hereby grant will and transfer unto my said Executors or major part of them the survivors or major part of the survivors of them full Power and authority to grant bargain sell and convey my said dwelling house and messuage and lands and meadows whatsoever belonging to me at the time of my demise within the aforesaid as executors for and re....herein before mentioned together with heredidiments and  ppurtenances whatsoever and that to such person or persons, heirs and assigns forever in fee-simple and by such deed or deeds as they may said executors shall see moot and convenient and I do hereby ratify and confirm this and only this which is written upon one side only of two sheets or pages to be my last will and testament

In Witness thereof I have  so ....set my hand and affixed my seal the day and year above written.

Signed sealed publicized and delivered by the Testator as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who have unto subscribed our names in his presence and at his request

Benjamin Artsen, Jacob Haight and D. Humphrey

Discovered on FHL film #051147/

No comments:

Post a Comment