Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sympathy Saturday: Harriet Elizabeth Conner

My grandfather’s sister, Harriet, was a wonderful woman.  We were very close with her growing up, so I spent a lot of time with her.  She never, ever treated us like children; we were always treated like an adult and that made us feel special.  She would “hire” us at garage sales to walk around and serve fruit picked from her trees.  She had a dog that was wiry and  tall and his name was Rabbit.  Rabbit was her constant companion and so we loved Rabbit, too.  She took me shopping for my birthday and bought me a shirt to match her so that we could be twins. 

Although she bought me presents for my birthday, apparently I just drew presents for her.  She sent this to me a few years before she passed away, touching me that she’d kept it all these years.  I miss my Auntie Harriet.



For Harriet Elizabeth Conner, born 15 March 1921, Philip, Haakon County, South Dakota.  Died 17 Oct 2001, Murphys, Calaveras County, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment